2.05.2010

Beginning Again....

Why is it so easy to get caught up in life that we fail at times to reflect on the importance of our day-to-day living? The experiences we have, the lessons we learn and the incredible moments that are between the monumental events in our lives are what truly counts. May 2009, my last entry and an earnest attempt at describing where I was in life and what was coming. Monumental that month was-a Master's degree-I still have a hard time fathoming it, and it wasn't until this month that i finally purchased the $20 frame to place my $30,000 piece of paper in. It is already beginning to collect some dust and I am anxious to move onto the next phase of life in Florida-but as I mention my life continuing, need I not forget to mention the tragedy that occured one month ago where a young life went to fast.
There are those moments in life that force you to pause, to take a step back and evaluate where you're heading in life and what exactly your purpose it. January 3rd was one of those days that takes your breath away, but for all the wrong reasons. It made my heart hurt, I shed tears, I asked why and wondered what the future held for families, for a wife, for a little baby girl and for close friends of SRA Bradley R. Smith KIA January 3, 2010, OEF. It was life altering for all those listed and for me, it touched me beyond explaination and I will forever be changed as a result.
I have been a patriot my whole life. I have bled red, white and blue, while not physically, but in many other tangible ways. I remember sitting in awe as a little girl at the air shows watching the planes and all the men in uniform. I wrote essays for VFW contests on patriotism. I expressed my pride through poetry, coloring my hair on the fourth of July and realizing at a very young age that those who served were answering a higher calling. I was changed on that day, 9/11, where classmates and I put together a memorial video depicting local and national images and videos that hit all to close to home. I donated blood. I made memorial ribbons. I watched the '9/11 class' cross the stage praying for those who would enter into service after graduation. They were ready. We were all moved then, but while some forgot, even when we all promised our country we wouldn't, I kept remembering my dad and all his buddies serving. I could never forget. I created a collage of newspaper clippings of 9/11 and then placed my fathers picture in it-he is and always will be my hero. I understood even then that freedom wasn't free. I'm not sure when I first understood, but I suppose growing up military-you just know that your dad (or mom's) job is...different. I spoke words of pride and honor at my fathers Air Force retirement ceremony and made a tribute video of his life and military career as I watched him proudly done his uniform and beret as an active duty member for the last time. I married my better half who serves proudly as a JTAC in the Air Force and is now my hero as well.  I watched him gruel through tech school and finally the proud moment where he doned his black beret and bloused his combat boots.  He was prepared.  I spent over 1 year alone without my hero as he served in both OIF and OEF and not a day went by that he wasn't always on my mind.  Yet I understood his dedication and applauded his selfless service.  The respect that he and other men gain simply for wearing the uniform is beyond words.  Complete strangers walk up to these men in airports and put their hand on their hearts and just saying 'thank you' and nothing else.  I have witnessed this and it brought a tear to my eye. I myself even entered AFROTC learning to be a leader before I chose a different path of service.  Those years were invaluable though and the friends that I made are still with me to this day. Commisioned and serving their country with pride. I get chills when I hear any tribute song to America and the melody of 'America, the beautiful' brings a tear to my eye. My list goes on....
I never seek to influence others to develop the same level of patriotism, I only hope to lead by example. The colors of our flag, the words of our founding fathers and the first documents that produced the greatest democracy in the world will forever make me stand taller and prouder. Bradley has not been the first, nor the last American that will refresh the tree of liberty with the blood of a patriot. But he has been one of the closest Chris or I have personally be connected to and touched by. His legacy remains and while his physical presense is with us no more, he left on this earth a beautiful wife and daughter who will carry on his memory forever. I myself won't have to be reminded because I will think of Tiffany and Chloe every single day. I will pray for their peace and their comfort and for Tiffany to finally be able to take a breath of fresh air. When you marry your better half you can never, ever forget them when they leave this transient life we live. But I believe that coping mechanism improve over time. She is an angel-and will be the most wonderful mother to Chloe, and already is in so many ways.
The world is missing a hero, heaven gained one. And while we may not understand why, may this picture alone speak volumes.  One hero lost, another one gained I ask?  May future generations understand at the youngest of ages that it is there duty to step forward and protect the very fabric of America from being tread on by our most vicious enemies.


Photo by: Courtney Gartner
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"~Ronald Reagon

No comments: