2.09.2010

Inspirations from a hospital room....

While an American Hero was lost on 3 January 2010, another American Hero celebrated his alive day that same day.  Mike 'Lassie' Malarsie was Brad Smith's ROMAD on the day that an IED took Brad's life and changed Mike's forever.  Life-ending and life-altering. One leave's a legacy, another left to remind us of his.  One finds peace with the Man in the sky while another begins a long process on a road to recovery, relearning the very world that he will only have memories of phyiscally seeing.  Mike is blind.  But Mike is very, very able.  He has become an inspiration to all that have had the privilage of witnessing his new path that he has so willingly taken head on.  He has no fears, so it seems.  In his minds eye, while he may be seeing black, his future is brighter than the sun.  He's grateful and happy and kind.  He isn't bitter, resentful or angry for the new journey that has been chosen for him.  The world needs inspiration and individuals who change the way that people look at their own lives and Mike has surely provided me a sense of new reflection on my life. And so many others I know have had the same sense of reflection on their lives. His story, his character and his determination have been life-changing.  A moment that made me stop dead in my tracks and reflect on the things that truely do matter in life. 
The minute things that seemed to bother me before I am able to simply look past and forget.  I analyze friendships differently, holding those that are dear to me closer. Realizing that now more than ever that I want to be surrounded solely by those that have the same level of love, compassion and zest to make a difference in this world as I do. While I have always held causes close to my heart, now more than ever I personally know a great American that will forever impact my life on a day to day basis-Chris and I both feel this way.  It's a new mission, a new calling to band together with those that feel the same and to NEVER FORGET the great sacrifice that Mike made, and ALWAYS REMEMBER that we must be there for him to help to strive to be the Mike that he was before his journey was altered on that fateful day.  May we never forget that that was not the day that he was wounded, but that was the day that he was given a second chance at living.  
Alive Day Mike 'Lassie Malarsie-January 3 2010
RIP Bradley R. Smith-January 3 2010
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."- John 15:13

His journey has only begun and I am anxious to watch it unfold.  Chris and I are excited to visit with him again as he begins his assimilation back into society.  It will be nothing short of phenomenal to continue to hear of his story.  We have heard first hand that Mike is just-different.  He's unlike any other veteran that ward 58 at Walter Reed has seen.  The support that he has received has been unparallel and he continues to provide new inspiration to even complete strangers on a daily basis.  Who knew that one individual could have the power to change perspectives and alter the lives of so many individuals?  Mike has accomplished all of this in just one short month.  Many individuals spend their entire lives seeking to be the source of motivation that Mike has been.  It is nothing short of absolutely remarkable.

No comments: