7.22.2011

The Countdown to Week 20 begins....

Week 17-

It has been a constant battle with my intuition on what I think our little bundle of joy will be.  The days of an extremely nauseous first trimester had me guessing for sure a boy, since I have heard that they tend to cause the most sickness early on!  And then, like a breath of fresh air, the second trimester swept me back in normalcy and I can't help but look forward to fall as this summer heat is not my favorite season.  Or perhaps I'm looking forward to 'Autumn' I ask myself? Hmm...I keep getting asked what my true intuition is and I can't help but lean towards the girl side.  Something, and I'm not quite sure what, has my mind going in that direction.  According to the old wives tale, a heartbeat below 140 is boy, above 140 girl.  At our 17 week check-up yesterday his/her heartbeat was a strong 152, just 2 beats off from the 150 when we last heard it.  Right on that cusp I believe of being either one!  Of course, again, just a tale, not perfect truth by any means.  I am currently following a blog where her baby 'boys' heartbeat is a high 160, and even though they have seen clear pictures of his family 'ah-hmm', she isn't quite convinced that it's time to paint the nursery.  And I don't blame her! All the time there are mishaps with the ultrasound reading, which brings me to our overwhelming excitement~ we have our 20 week ultrasound in 4 weeks!  Which seems like an eternity, but I know the time will fly. 

Current feeling: anxious!


This week my anxiousness went into overdrive when A:) we heard the heartbeat again!  B:) We purchased the crib!  With my belly not being absolutely huge by now, no morning sickness and no kicking for the next couple of weeks,  it's easy to sometimes forget the reality that 'hey, I'm pregnant!'

How I'm exercising:

I feel obligated to eventually dedicate an entire post to this but for now, I will just say that exercise has been consistent and good!  It's hard as a personal trainer to not use the words, 'progressing', 'hitting goals' or 'improving' because it is everything but!  It's a matter of maintaining, listening to my body, monitoring my breath and staying in tune with my intuition more than anything.  Walking on runs, hitting a heartbeat of 150 at mile 1 and decreasing mileage every couple of weeks is something I am hardly used to but realize how necessary it is for the health of not only the baby but myself.  My body is much more achy after yoga class and tight after runs and lifting but as long as I remain consistent, stay hydrated and give myself the nutrition my body (and the little one) needs, I know that I will be extremely happy with having a fit pregnancy.  The benefits to staying fit while pregnant are overwhelming: healthier baby, healthier mama during AND after pregnancy, a body prepared to bounce back more quickly, an easier delivery, and in general, a happier YOU!  While I can't wait to return to my old workout regimen, I have taken this as an opportunity to accept a different type of challenge and looking at it that way has made a WORLD of difference!

How's the Little One? 

Baby is the size of an onion! His skeleton is hardening and bone structure is beginning to form more completely.  Fat is beginning to accumulate around the bone (and around my waistline as well!) and his umbilical cord is getting thicker and stronger.  The little one officially has a fingerprint of his own and those little hands are beginning to tug away on the umbilical cord looking for something to grab onto and play with!  This week is ultimately when kicking and somersaulting can begin but I haven't felt anything yet, or anything that I thought felt any different than my stomach growling!

 


 ~The Bump:: Week 16!~
~And Chris's 6-pack! ~

New This Week:
  • Weight gain: 8 lbs and climbing!
  • Alternative baby shower and reveal party in the works~  I'll explain more next week about the awesome idea for a reveal party my sister came up with!
  • Baby purchases this week: 2 (boppy cover and CRIB)
  • Baby books purchased: 1 ( The Baby Book, from what I've read it is THE bible of all baby books)
  • Ounces of Cocoa Butter used: probably a pound!  

No comments: