6.16.2011

Part II- The Search for Energy and the Perfect Curb-My-Nausea Foods

Part II-week 11

As the days post the pregnancy test began to pass, as the shock still began to sink in that I was no longer just sick but with child, other signs began to hit me like a ton of bricks- irritability.  Even though I  consider myself a pretty even keel person, always keeping my emotions in check, I was become irritated at EVERYTHING.  Even if I didn’t physically show it, the smallest things were making me feel like I was going bonkers.  And then, the low energy and disinterest in common,daily activities began to set in.  I didn’t want to clean.  Doing the dishes, vacuuming, dusting and mopping all didn’t appeal to me.  Making the bed in the morning took every last bit of strength I had and I was even loosing interest in wanting to go to work, to work out , to walk the dogs and even check my e-mail!  It was something that was so surreal to me because NEVER in my life had I felt this way.  I have always been full of life, full of energy and had a sense of get-up-and-go that loosing interest in life itself was definitely becoming a concern to me.  Was this how pregnancy was truly supposed to feel?  Was I getting a form of depression during pregnancy that I had no control over?  I was a whole lot of bit frightened and scared and it wasn’t until I picked up a copy of “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” that I realized all of my feelings, my aversions, my emotions and my moods were completely normal and to be expected.  I was relieved.   I realized that the nausea and disinterest in life would quickly pass as the first trimester came to end.  I only had a few more weeks so I was completely relieved that I would hopefully be close to being back to my old self. 

My aversions during weeks 8-?:

Things that I LOVED before were seemingly becoming unbearable for me to even smell.   This made me sad but I knew someday I would renew my love for these foods:

·         Raw almond and peanut butter-and I am a peanut butter FREAK.

·         Hummus- whatever will I do without you?

·         COFFEE?- Really? The queen of all things coffee, the one who considers any coffee shop her second home, couldn’t even stand the smell of the grounds?  I think I’m going to be sick just thinking about being sick in not wanting to drink a cup-of-joe.

·         Oatmeal- I suppose this goes with my almond butter aversion as my fave breakfast for some time prior to conception was oatmeal, a tablespoon of almond butter and craisens and golden raisins. YUM, before, not so much now.

·         WINE-not only am I not supposed to be drinking it of course, but the thought and smell of it actually makes me nauseous. ( And here I thought that this was going to be the most difficult parts of being pregnant, giving up my love for wine, and it is  actually one of the easiest parts!)

Things I LOVE now:

Some of these are new cravings, others are things that I have always loved that are now continuing to comfort my nausea:

·         Cinnamon-always LOVED, apparently always will.

·         Cereal- I love it all almost.  There was even a time when I grabbed a box of peanut butter  captain crunch.  SO not healthy but worth it to curb the nausea. Mostly Special K cinnamon and pecan, Raisin Bran and Cracklin Oat Bran have been my go to’s. 

·         Citrus-oranges, grapefruit,  lemonade flavoring in my teas, lemon in water, anything with a hint of citrus I gravitate towards. 

·         Club Soda concoctions-  I can’t get enough club soda and splash of cranberry with a squeeze of lime.  I feel as if I am indulging even though it is one of the healthiest drinks to consume.  It is perfect for after meals when trying to sooth the growing pains or an upset tummy.

·         Tuna-always loved it, its been a perfect lunch for me especially in trying to consume my 12 oz. of fish in a week for the Omega 3’s.  I love that I can still have fish even if I have to pass on my fave of all faves: sushi. 

·         Mexican food-black beans, chicken, cheese, guacamole, salsa, chips, all ingredients that I normally can’t get enough of and especially now that I’m pregnant.  Chips and salsa always have been and always will be one of my greatest weaknesses.

·         Yogurt,berries and almonds- I can’t get enough of this yummy breakfast.  Usually this is breakfast # 2 or snack number one for me in the morning and it completely hits the spot. 

Here's to the FINAL week of the first trimester and keeping my fingers crossed that all that I have read is true-I will begin to feel 'normal'!

No comments: