6.16.2011

Part III- Let the Check-ups Begin!

Part III

And so the appointments begin.  The first appointment (which at this point no one even knew we were pregnant, some call it crazy, I call it preparation for how we were going to tell people and who needed to be told first) was May 17th- the walk in.  The first appointment at Eglin Hospital isn’t really an appointment at all.  You walk in, fill out a booklet of paperwork, pee in a cup and have about 7 viles of blood drawn.  Fun!  It’s there that they confirm your hCG hormone levels are up and that you are in fact pregnant! Yay! Confirmation besides  2 - $12 sticks in a box!  We then scheduled our OB orientation and of course our first prenatal appt- June 14th and that day, it seemed like FOREVER away.  Almost a month, I couldn’t believe it!  We were anxious and curious as to how far along I was but, we would have to wait.  The OB orientation went well, we got a ton of literature and they answered some basic questions about what to do and not to do when you are pregnant as well as resources available especially in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters such as breastfeeding classes and breathing classes.  Had this helped reality sink in for us?  Especially as Chris got a tour of the hospital where he would need to take me for this and for that, and I actually was told ‘Congrats on being a mom’?  Nope.  No reality yet. Still shock and awe.  When would we actually give into our reality and assume the new roles that we were about to have?  When would we be able to accept this new part of our journey that we were about to embark on? Would it be the when we saw pictures of the little one? When we told friends and family?  I know the day will come and until then, I'll continue to take care of myself as best as possible hoping soon those maternal instincts would somehow find me.

Physical Feelings:

·         full/bloated constantly

·         low energy levels

·         slight nausea (but beginning to dissipate!)

·         the feeling of beginning to get a bump-exciting yet terrifying!

·         walking feels amazing/running feels awesome but I feel like I have to pee after a mile!

·         Smells are making me nauseous: coffee, strong air fresheners, wet dog (which is unavoidable when I take 3 of them 3 times a week to the sound!), COFFEE, laundry detergent,

·         Smells I am liking: rosemary, citrus, lavender, Zum Mist Eucalyptus (a spray I use in yoga that I literally can't get enough of!)

No comments: