8.16.2011

Training for Two: Yoga and Pregnancy

Week 21-

As week 20 ended and week 21 began, I felt what many books/articles have already warned me: leg cramps may begin.  And begin they did.  I have a mild-case of restless leg syndrome (self-diagnosed :-) and am constantly, when I wasn't pregnant, needing to wiggle or move because I have the hardest time sitting still!  In these past few weeks I have noticed the desire to run/walk longer and farther, more yoga throughout the day and anything that I can do to get my circulation going.  I'm hoping that these symptoms, combined with my already poor circulation aren't a recipe for a ton of swelling in the later months of my pregnancy.   I will do whatever it takes to fit my feet into my winter boots that I have been dying to wear all summer even if I have to move 10 miles a day. :-)

As a yoga teacher certified in pre-natal yoga, I have studied and personally seen the impact that yoga has had on women in pregnancy.  Not only does their practice provide them quiet time to really put the focus inward, but a traditional pre-natal class is geared towards incorporating poses that are safe for mama and baby and that ultimately will help in the birthing process.  Take for example:

1.) cat-cow:  Since full spinal twists are off limits in starting in the late first/second trimester of pregnancy (too much of a risk of tearing the uterine wall) the concave, convex movement of the spine is wonderful relief to moms in their first/second trimester who are experiencing back pain due to increase in breast size! (oh, the joys of pregnancy)  For moms entering into their third trimester and getting closer to birth, the rocking of the pelvis helps to get baby turned into that head down position ready to enter the world.


2.) Prayer squat:  I teach this as part of an opening flow to my pre-natal students (and now in my self-practice) but it is incredibly beneficial in prepping the pelvis and opening the hips during pregnancy and ultimately for birth. Many moms who choose a natural birth swear by practicing the prayer squat in pregnancy as that is ultimately the position they ended up in when they delivered

3.) Pigeon pose: An incredible hip opener that was a fave among my prenatal students.  Many women are blessed with the hormone relaxin early on in their pregnancy (a hormone that a woman creates which helps to open the hips.)  I on the other hand, am still waiting for the gift and therefore struggle with tight runners/bikers hips.  Hopefully the hormone will come soon but until then I use a variety of hip openers to focus on the area.



4.) The breath:  No it's not a pose but it is the foundation of any yoga practice no matter what style you practice.  With vinyasa, the style that I teach and practice, it is especially important as you pair your flow with your inhales/exhales.  The breath is even more critical than ever when a woman is bringing a life into this world as it will take a lot of breath to do so!  The more that a woman can use the breath to calm the body and go inward, the more control she has over her body when the labor pains begin to take over.  Lets just say the breath helps you go to your happy place much more easily!  I'm hoping for just that!


I am passionate about the benefits of yoga and being pregnant has only renewed that belief for me.  My hopes are that my practice as a mom-to-be will make me stronger, more flexible and more grounded when that little one decides to make his grand arrival!


~Chris was in the field so back to the cell phone pics!~

~noticeable from the front? I think that's a yes. :-)~
Odds and Ends:
  • first cup of coffee consumed since pregnant!  A delicious Starbucks house blend with cinnamon..it only took me 4 hours and 3 warm ups later to down it but it was delicious!
  • Cravings: Greek yogurt, cinnamon, and tomatoes (thanks Jess for getting me hooked on the yogurt! ;)
  • Miles run: 11.2 (five of those with Chris trotting lovingly by my side..trooper he is)
  • Times still up at night to go pee: 4-5 average...its awful!
  • Days until K-State kickoff: 17!! 
  • Maternity purchases: 1 K-state preggo shirt-GO STATE!
  • Appointments upcoming: 1 this Thursday~ the BIG ultrasound!  We're stoked!


No comments: