10.03.2011

Training for labor.


Week 27-

Both Chris and I returned this week refreshed from our trip to Duluth and bound and determined to start making more headway on our 'to-do' list that is vastly growing as the due date approaches.  Needless to say, life happens and the list didn't see many check boxes this week.  He had quite a hectic week at work, I worked plus had AbFab duties that needed to be taken care of but one thing that we did get to do this week was start our birthing class and that was definitely a big deal for us.  I have had an anxious feeling in regards to starting the class for some time, mainly because I knew that it was going to really force us to hit the reality button and feel more prepared when the big day arrives.  

The Bradley Method

Dr. Bradley best sums up the method of his class structure when he says that labor is like an 'athletic event' where the husbands are the 'coaches'.   Being as into health and fitness as I am, I knew that this was going to be the right method for us to be a part of a 'team' rather than have a typical scenario of the woman shouting and screaming at the husband and him holding her hand with a helpless look on his face.  Plus, what guy doesn't like the idea of being a coach?  Equating labor to a 'sporting event' had to have helped Dr. Bradley real in husbands/sports fans near and far to wanting to know more about how to make labor feel like you're coaching your favorite team to win the National Championship!  

Chris and I have both been extremely happy so far with how the class has progressed.  We leave each class with a list of to-do's and that definitely helps us in learning to practice relaxation techniques together.  Some of it has been review, such as the exercises and nutrition portion but with SO much information out there, it can be overwhelming.  It's been nice to get things in a more condensed format and of course I'm a firm believer that you never stop learning so I have definitely been able to take away some nutrition advice that I wasn't aware of before (like in the 8th month eat 2 eggs daily to boost your DHA and Omegas, assisting with the brain development of the baby)  

We'll take classes most Sundays up until the beginning of November which is perfect timing I feel.  I won't be too big at that point and it will give us plenty of time to go over everything and absorb it before little Autumn makes her arrival.

How Big is Autumn?

Weighing in at a little over 2 lbs and about the size of a head of cauliflower! She is measuring at little over 14 inches long (still hard to believe there is over a foot of baby inside me!) and is getting to be more active than ever!  Her little lungs are still continuing to rapidly develop and she is officially showing signs of brain activity.  The third trimester is the time where they say to really focus on getting your brain foods (omega 3 and 6's and plenty of DHA) in order to feed her growing mind! 

How am I feeling?
Still pretty energetic but definitely noticing the need to get more sleep.  I have never been a napper ( and for all things considered never feel like I have the time!) So getting between 9-11 hours of sleep at night has been my focus lately to keep me from winding down during the day.  Considering I can't load myself up with caffeine anymore it definitely makes me focus on rest vs. compensating in the morning for lack there of by throwing back a triple shot of espresso!  

I still feel the constant need for movement, only really about to sit still for no more than an hour.  I am thankful for this internal alarm clock because I am hoping the increase in movement is just my body's way of preventing swelling and circulation issues associated with not getting enough movement throughout the day. 

My blood volume level must also be hitting another spike because I have cut back on how I gage my runs.  I'm at about .5-.75 run, 3 minutes walk. Repeat for 3-5 miles.  My pace is still fairly the same, anywhere from 10-11:15 min/mile, which for all relative purposes I don't even pay much attention to because I'm so focused on keeping my heartrate in range and when it spikes, I slow it down to a fast walk.  I would have to say ultimately this trimester will be about really tuning into my body and cutting back even more as she is preparing to grow the most during this phase of her gestation and I prepare to take on a spike in weight gain quicker than I have in the first 2 trimesters.  All worth it in the end of course!

The Weekend

We decked ourselves out in our purple and went to Buffalo Wild Wings to brave the Miami fans that we figured would be swarming.  We were surprised to not see to many and actually saw a bigger swarm of Ohio fans than anyone else.  We pulled out another win (although it was a nailbiter!) but a win none the less.

Before the game we ventured to Three Dogs and a Chick, our local dog bakery in Fort Walton.  Lola has been missing her collar for over a month and we were debating on what would be our next purchase for her.  Her previous one was made of 550 cord (military cording) and she still managed to loose it!  I say that she's no girly-girl and is tough on her 'jewelry' like her mama.  We found an awesome one that is made of military grade straps and buckles and has a Velcro name tag on it (which we have put one of Chris's 'Premo' badges on for now until we can get her a special one made).  She really likes it though we think!



We also found her a short leash that Chris is anxious to use for when he runs with her and wants to let her off when he's on the back roads and carry something that's not bulky and awkward.  It's made of climbing rope and is incredibly durable.  We also had to buy Jack a new bed.  In my opinion, he got jealous and decided that he wanted a Molly Mutt bed like Lola and Toga so one day he took to devouring his bed.  We came home to what looked like a cotton machine had exploded in our living room.  So we bought a Molly Mutt bed for him, one we thought Andy would approve of, and he's totally content.  I really like the beds for their durability (they're made of canvas) as well as the ability to switch out the stuffing with ease (they come with stuff sacks that you can put anything from old socks to old bedding in to make it as comfortable for them as you want).  

Sunday's first outing was to Maggie Mitchell's b-day party! Alaina, being the awesome dog mama that she is, made a cake, brought hats and made goodie bags for all the pups (and humans!) and every pooch had an absolute blast hanging with one another, even if the temps were a bit warmer than we were hoping for!  Anytime all the pups can get together is a good time and we all had a blast watching them interact and devour the meatloaf/mashed potato cake that was made especially for them!

 ~Lola-bean!~






~Alaina did this awesome side-by-side comparison of Lola when she was only 4 months old at Rambo's b-day party in Kansas! To now, 1 year and 8 months old! ~

 ~Simple Jack!~
 ~Toga-toe!~

 ~The birthday girl herself, Maggie!~

After the dog park Chris and I decided to take to the trails before our birthing class at 3, so we had the bikes all packed and camelbacks ready to go when we got home, dropped off the pups and then headed out.  It was refreshing to be back out there with him and we took it easy of course on Speed Demon and Leaner trails, all easy trails that I would feel more than comfortable on.  Being almost 7 months pregnant I'm not going to take any risk on being on a single track trail that requires a lot of maneuvering or skill~easy riding was my mantra and it felt amazing just to be out there breaking a sweat with Chris.  I can't wait to get back in the groove of our longer rides and prepare for our next adventure race (post baby of course)!  We've yet to put one on the calendar but have several on our radar! 

 ~Since my rides have slowed down Chris was still able to get a workout in by stopping at every trail intersection and cranking out pushups!


 ~the creek bed that looked super inviting after a hot ride!~


Odds and Ends:
  • K-State Wins: 3!! We knocked out University of Miami this week and prepare for the Baylor game next weekend!
  • Dinners cooked together this week: 2!  I think that's a record for us as each week tends to be hectic in some way or the other.  Monday night we enjoyed dinner on the patio as the fall breezes began to roll in!
  •  Baby Books read: 5-the knowledge that I feel we have to gain is never-ending but we keep hearing to not over-read and over analyze parenting, so much of it will come with instinct!

No comments: